What is the Student Recycling Leadership Corps?
The IRC proudly partners with PepsiCo Recycling to offer the Student Recycling Leadership Corps for the third year in a row. The Student Recycling Leadership Corps is an interactive scholarship program for Indiana high school students who wish to increase the impact of recycling at their school. The goal of the Leadership Corps is to engage Student Leaders across Indiana in recycling initiatives in their communities to build the next generation of recycling champions. Throughout the one year duration of the program, students will gain valuable leadership skills, hands-on project management experience, and intimate recycling knowledge. Once selected, Student Leaders are charged with implementing the following two elements of the program:
- Facilitating the Recycle Rally program at their school
- Implementing a public space recycling project of their choice in their community
Through Student Leader reporting, the IRC will track the amount of material recycled by weight and/or volume from each student project. Upon completion, each Student Leader will receive a $1000 scholarship.
What is Recycle Rally?
Recycle Rally is a nationwide school recycling program, sponsored by PepsiCo Recycling, designed to raise awareness among K-12 students about the importance of recycling and encourage them to take action and make recycling part of their lives. This program aims to take K-12 school recycling programs to the next level, expanding to more schools across the nation, and offering new opportunities for involvement. Through the program, schools earn rewards, gain access to educational tools and connect to a national recycling effort.
What are Public Space Recycling Projects?
Students will be charged with implementing one time or recurring recycling at events or in public spaces that target beverage containers (i.e. soda bottles, water bottles – #1 PETE and #2 HDPE). It can be an athletic event, community fair, in a public park, etc.
Am I eligible?
- Do you live in Indiana?
- Are you currently in your Junior or Senior year of High School?
- Do you maintain a GPA of at least 2.5?
Special consideration will be given to applicants with demonstrated leadership experience and/or a clear interest in sustainability. However, all applicants are welcome and every single one is reviewed by IRC Staff. Do not be discouraged before applying – SRLC is not highly competitive, rather an initiative to create recycling champions in Indiana!
How Do I Apply?
Simply follow these steps!
- Find an adult affiliated with your school district willing to help guide, support or advocate for your recycling efforts
- Fill out this short form.
- Write a Statement of Purpose (200 words or less)
- Secure 1-2 letter(s) of recommendation from adults within your community
- Attach your Statement of Purpose and 1-2 letter(s) of recommendation as PDFs in an email to IRC Staff Lead – listed below.